“We suffered from a disease for which there is no known cure.
It can however be arrested at some point, and recovery is then possible”.
~ Narcotics Anonymous
For people with addictions, recovery is a daily battle that they must constantly be diligent about fighting. These practices really can help:
- Attending 12-step meetings regularly
- Reading the 12-step literature daily
- Getting a Sponsor
- Talking with your Sponsor daily
- Meeting with your Sponsor at least once a week
- Working the 12-steps
- Creating a daily gratitude list
- Praying daily
- Meditating regularly
- Staying away from people still using
- Making new friends (preferably people in active recovery)
- Staying away from places where you used to use
- Finding new hobbies (working out and/or volunteering are very popular ones)
- Being a friend on the phone to others in recovery
- Doing service work at the 12-step meetings (set up chairs, set up coffee, be a greeter, speak during the meeting, hand out clean time chips or key tags, etc.)
Posted by: Angela Whiting, North Hampton, NH.